Adding traction to foam wheels

While I’ve been building my second beetle (BEANS! MK2, which is an axe), I’ve run into a similar problem that I had with beans mk1, which is that the foam wheels slide a lot and don’t have much traction, which causes the robot to lose a lot of speed. The way I solved it with my first robot was to nail a load of cut up Lego tyres into the edges of the wheel, which worked well, but MK2 is a lot lower to the ground, so that solution won’t work again. I’ve seen suggestions online about using liquid latex or grip tape around the edges, but I wanted to know if there’s any other methods, or if not, what latex or tape to buy and how to use it effectively. I’m also not sure about how to cast my own wheels, but I’m considering it.

If it adds anything, the chassis that I’m using is an old Gladiator chassis and a Bert the Vert wedge that were kindly gifted to me at rapture, and the chassis is designed to use 4 BBB 22mm brushed motors.

I’m also not sure how the wheels would behave on the arena floor, as my only drive tests to try out the tiny magnets that I’m using have been done on a small sheet of spare hardox.

Any advice would be really appreciated : )

Cool to hear there will be more BEANS.
For latex, iirc any will do, Rubber Latex is the best. do note it will wear out after a fight or 2, so you will have to reapply. you could also use some smaller foamies, then wrap a rubber tire around it, from like an rc car.

cant wait to see it!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I’ll have a look into both methods : )

Adding rubber cement before the latex helps the latex stick so it will last longer if you choose to go down that route.

1 Like

Agreed with Gabriel!

on the store page for foam wheels we link rubber cement & liquid latex

recommend a few layers of rubber cement then a few layers of the latex.

Edit: easiest way to apply is turn on the robot on it’s cradle, set the trims off centre so the wheels slowly rotate, apply each layer with one of these foam brushes:

3 Likes