Well hello again.
Today, i’m sharing with you the Bert The Vert saga. Which has been over a year now.
1. El Beginnin
Well, it didnt start with Bert, it started end of September 2021 with Inferno.
Inferno was basically gonna be Bert, just, not named Bert.
Original shitty Cad, funnily enough looks close to Bert
We wanted to enter it into FACTS, our big event over here. So the rush was on!
so the event was nearing, and the bot wasnt done yet…
this was it a few days before the comp, ohno
so, we had also other bots to finish too, they took up allot of the week. then day before the comp, we worked hard to maybe get Inferno running. But alas, it was too much work to be done and we didnt enter it.
Sad bert noises
2. Oh hes bacc
So last year, around May, I decided to bring back the project. Redesigning Bert to be fully Lasered and hopefully running for Hannover in
Now, after fully making it, and the chassis being welded, i forgot a thing, WIRES.
Ofcourse, for it to work, i needed a wire from one side to the other, and well, i didnt design that…
See the red and black wire, that isnt good to be there
But finally it was comming together. only took, uuuuuh 9 months? sure we will go with that.
El Completo Robotto
3. It has fight
As posted before in the Han V3 writeup (you should read it #spon #ad), Hannover was allot of fun. But Bert took a Hurt.
This was straight when we started
Now the biggest issues were mainly the bending of the ears (by which it was nicknamed “The Killer Bunny”), Belt falling off above 20% and mobility.
The belt was an easy fix, better pulleys, and a Green Belt.
The Bending was a pain mainly because bending it back would be hard, since all is welded. But we got it back in uuuh some sort of shape afterwards?
Mobility was mainly because of the large wheels i had to use to make it run inverted, which also forced allot of pressure on the front which made driving a lil harder.
Ofcourse, there are also positives, It Span, It Hit, It won a fight and won over the Crowd, what more do you want!
Bert did still do a Demo at the DRG Clubday, spinning up and driving around. which it did well!
4. Changes people, Changes!
Bert needed allot of fixes, so, i started designing a new one!
My main goals with new Bert were:
- Make it more servicable
- Better design to get under stuff
- More Weapon Options!!!
- 3d Printed Chassis
- Wires via a different way
- More interesting shape (no just box)
all i was stuck with were, the weapons, the pulleys and the weapon supports. The rest i could play around with for the design.
not most recent cad, wheelguards are different now, see later below
Now it was off to the Printer, and slowly, new Bert was comming together.
It was a few cm wider then to old one to accomendate all internals, since the old slightly struggled to. it has 8cm thick tpu armour with 2mm ti gr5 on top and bottem. frame rails are still the good ol 8mm Alu.
to combat the groundgame, i added some forks to it. which will hopefully put people into the weapon . and as a 2nd setup for better drive and more armour ive taken some inspo from a certain green boi.
i completed the build of bert a few weeks ago, it all now drives and is basically ready for competition.
Bert as of Right now
Now, we wait for when Bert strikes its next competition. It might be soon!