Bop! - Beetleweight Build Diary

21 minutes of me rambling, and a few fight clips, if anyone is that bored today!

5 Likes

Bop was a big hit in our house :slight_smile:

Look forward to seeing him in the flesh soon

bop! rebuild for Champs is well underway.

I did my first tool change on the CNC and I worried a lot.

Came out okay!

The ever wonderful JoeM printed another wedge :purple_heart:

All the 10mm bits…

Quick pretendo

Very extra link door… But missing something

Better.

Today’s workshop progress!

With a friend

Casting wheels at home, maybe overfilled… But my first try :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Looking great… Can’t wait to see the little bot all fresh faced :grinning:

Hello!

I left this kind of mid-build so about time to come and update, and do a little review of where bop! will go from here.

As I left you last, we’d cast some wheels. These new wheel designs were designed to combat the sub-par durability I had from then at Rapture, completely redesigned to have more PU, a hopefully better grip onto the PU internally, and a much stronger pink colour.

Happy to say they came out nicely! I cast 8 in total to have a full set of spares.

I mounted the wedges this time using a blend of the ol’ woodscrews, along with 1 barrel nut on either side. I had a feeling this would not only be stronger, but help a lot when mounting the wedge and ensuring it says level with the floor.

I designed these small notches into the front to give me a good indication of where to drill to meet the barrel nut perpendicularly :slight_smile:

The whole bot was rewired to allow for connectors between the 2 sides to allow easier removal of the middle weapon section should I need to. These connectors were always cable tied together during matches.

A new link was made to facilitate how close the link door comes to the link itself, being as low profile as humanly possible.

And the steel pin in the hammer got a lil sharpen :slight_smile:

And that’s largely it! This version of bop! was mainly focused on improving some weaker areas and making QOL that little nicer.

bop! went out of the competition 0-2 after taking some big hits in both matches. Paradigm Spin was on great form in the first match and the force managed to unplug the lipo from the rest of the machine (the one connector that hadn’t been cable tied). bop! also withstood an absolute battering from Bad Daddy with not much to show for it aside from some bruises on the wedge.

The wheels stood up far better than the previous generation which was fantastic, even after several whiteboard matches.

And finally, the very unexpected (and frankly bad form at your own event, but thank you judges <3) award, for losing with heckin’ style and building something cool and fun over something meta. At least, that’s how I perceive it.

The beetles also took a little trip to Cheltenham, for funsies.

Next up for bop!, more events! Having way too much fun with this machine to let it drop quite yet. For it’s next events, I’d like to look into a better belt tensioner, perhaps something sprung, and maybe even some of this fancy am32 stuff people are running on the hammer.

If you’ve made it all the way to the end, thank you for sticking it out with bop! and I, and hope you have a great festive period of rest and relaxation :slight_smile: see you in 2024!

4 Likes