Right, that’s 3 different threads of all the weight classes I assault with my presence. If people would rather they be combined to one fat dumping ground that’s fine I’m happy to oblige but I figured splitting them class by class works best for general interest.
For the last year I have been chucking out various lumps of yellow plastic in the form of the MotherLoader line. Starting with a fairly solid wedge and (d)evolving into a dual weapon axe lifer combo.
Continuing the concept I idly started playing around with some interesting gearbox and motor designs to free up some internal space inside. I picked up a 24mm planetary and a strange little motor from aliexpress and found them to be an amusing combination.
What I planned to do was swap the drive around so the front pulley is driven and can be better protected by the wedge. By mounting this over the gearbox shaft I could save space and pretend to have a 24mm dead shaft on a beetle.
Like so. It also lets me pop the esc in the outside of the bulkhead and just have it come away as one self contained tanky unit. With a hard mounted xt30 all it needs is a pwm line to slip into the main body of the bot and it is a really clean albeit silly solution.
Theory tested in PLA for the time being.
Some cheap 30mm bearings sit inside the pulley and ride on a printed boss that bolts to the bulkhead with m2 countersunk bolts. The hub is a 6mm one from pololu. the imperial was about half the price of the metric one so I bought the freedom units and rethreaded. Penny pinching always.
Self contained unit working pretty well! Even though it features a larger wheel, with the new gearbox and motor system it should be about the same speed as the current ML. The other change is I’ll have to go back to a wider track (25mm) so it doesn’t look too odd. This whole assembly is barrelnut’d, captive nut’d and threaded insert’d into place. I am looking at creating a folded plastic or sheet metal main chassis to have something as light and rigid as possible.
Also over this slightly rum sodden bank holiday weekend I caught up on housework (hence the day drinking) and then consumed an entire season of Battlebots. Although slightly outdated (2018) it was inspiration nonetheless and I opened up Solidworks and once Dassault Systèmes had been shouted at
and the £8 they said they had taken two days prior transferred I could muck about with ideas.
A bit of a parts bin special and a low hanging fruit extravaganza on show but I am pretty pleased with how this little cutie is looking. Complete departure from the MotherLoader line but this may actually function as a result. Making a little use of the new dual brushed ESC I just snagged a beta version of from BBB it is fully brushed bar the token tickle saw which is run off one of my many 1806’s.
Featuring a lot of plastic both printed and sheet. I think I can get away with only needing the arms getting lasercut and the rest done in house. It would be nice to have something fairly simple that is just reliable and ready to jump into all threats.