Superior violence - my first spinner

Hello all of you brilliant builders, I would like to introduce to you my design for a shuffling horizontal called Superior Violence. It sports a 92 gram fingertech weapon bar which will be running off the BE1806 found on the Bristol bot builders store. While I have no pictures of the most recent cad design I do have an old design in which I was yet to design the shufflers
(For reference the weapon diameter is ~150mm)
I designed this when I was still rebuilding my other antweight after its terrible performance at ORCS 4 (in which it had no grip and lost all 5 fights) so I still lacked any knowledge of how heavy its all PLA chassis was going to be, leading to a chassis that once sliced, told me was going to be 270g with 3 walls and 10% cubic infill

As for the shuffling mechanism I am using 4 legs on each side which will be printed in TPU for the extra toughness (I no longer trust PLA due to how badly it did against GetGot at the recent BBB event, failing spectacularly across the layer lines, causing my battery to fly out when I drove onto the floor flipper, forcing me to tap out)

In order to gain any grip or speed the ends of the shuffler legs will have silicon rubber strips glued to it and be driven by a pair of 1000rmp N10s

Well that’s all for now, I hope to update soon with cad pictures.

1 Like

Looks very nice Phoenix!

One question is the gyro not going to be unreal with a 92g weapon?

Either way looking forward to seeing more

1 Like

Hmmmm, I didn’t but really think about gyro because it is a horizontal so as long as I stay flat it shouldn’t gyro too much but thanks for pointing that out to me david

Here is some of the cad, It used to have both wheelgaurds, thicker walls and a back wedge however It weighed far too much. I hope to have the main chassis printed in PLA by tomorrow

due to the Fingertech blade not being designed for the BE1806 I have designed a TPU adaptor.

The massive weapon leads to Gyro hopefully not really mattering as it will simply hit the floor instead of going on its side

Superior violence looks, well, violent. Nice shuffler too, you don’t see many of them outside the US.

1 Like

So I printed it and uhhhhhhhh,
It was 45 grams overweight
So guess who will be once again making the walls thinner?
But on another note one consideration I had was to do ANOTHER redesign and instead of having an all 3d printed chassis I could use a PCB as the baseplate which I will purchase off of PCBway and then use carbon fibre from Sendcutsend as the weapon arm. From there I would use varying armour thickness and amounts of shuffler legs depending on what I am fighting to allow me to be fast when fighting wedges and stronger when fighting other spinners.

Other than that I could just try making everything weaker and become a glass cannon.
What do you all think? Do you have any ideas that would allow me to keep the comedically big weapon?

Wrecks style gyro walker? Only said slightly in jest.

For all the effort and workarounds you’re doing, why not have a new weapon cut? Something that doesn’t require an adapter hub and is a shape you define will put it back on track for sure

1 Like

Just a heads up, SendCutSend doesn’t currently ship outside of America and Canada.

1 Like

Hmmmmm, the weapon weight has been a large dilemma for me as it has many non-desirable qualities due to it being designed for US antweights so that is probably what I will do, combined with the Carbon fibre top frame and PCB base. Do you know any good UK cutting services I could use because the one I found only cut 5+mm Hardox 500: https://lasered.co.uk/materials/hardox/

As for sendcutsend Not shipping to the UK, Thanks for making me aware of that.

Edit: Do you think Grade 5 titanium might be good due to it being lighter while only being a bit weaker??

Most services don’t do hardox 500 in less than 5mm but I will say that hardox 400 is of then used in ants and is more than enough.

1 Like

Laser/water jet would not be my go to process for CF anyway to be fair. Touch up anyone with a CNC router or start looking at shady Chinese vendors. I think RJX hobby have some pretty aggressive sales ladies who want CF work.

Also worth considering just hand making it. Carbon fibre is a dream to work with with a Dremel, files and sand paper. Printed template and away you go. Just don’t inhale anything, cut outside and be extra cautious about skin contact.

I never really like titanium as an impacting surface as it’s soft but if you can source it cheap then go fog it. I know I’d just be making a skinnier geometry bar from 3mm hardox personally.

1 Like

Here is the new CAD design, I did the math and the blade should weigh around 65 - 70 grams.

The blade can now directly mount to the motor and can spin in both directions, along with a detachable motor guard. The weapon maintains its large diameter so if I don’t have the weight I should be fine having an exposed motor. I moved the switched because I felt that having it on top would make it far too easy for something to hit and quite annoying to hold in place.

Anyhow, advice, constructive criticism or any kind of feedback is appreciated

Cool design but I’d really suggest not having the switch in the weapon path, if you turn it on and it immediately spins up you’re gonna have a time

2 Likes

Hey Will!

Great looking robot, always a big fan of large spinning weapons.

Just some stuff on the shuffler you may want to consider.

Having them sideways reduces the efficiency of the step, as you’ll be moving more up and down, rather than the left and right motion you need to move quicker.

Not sure if you’re using bearings, but if you are, they tend to not be needed at this weightclass! Really helps out with the weight.

Also consider how you’re legs are going to get grip on the arena, casting feet to the bottom of the shuffler feet alternatively, you can get cleat style feet cut from a stainless/mild steel in .9mm

Really recommend Absolute Chaos, they do a great write up on shufflers, particularly section 2 on this blog.

Whilst I dont think you’ll have problems with spinup, you may have to be a little gentle on the spinup, previously I’ve used a 40g bar on a 2204 using 3S, that had some initial throttle up problems which needed me to be gentler on the stick. Solved it by bumping upto a 2604 on 4S which can happily spin up a 200mm, 50g bar no problem. Again, dont think you’ll have too many problems due to the diameter only being 150mm, but something to consider.

Awesome stuff tho, good luck with it!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice on bearings, It should really save me some weight. As for grip I intend on gluing on strips of silicon rubber onto the ends of the shufflers. As for the efficiency of the step, for now I will ignore it as I feel it will be very hard to fit it into the current design.

However after ORCS 5 I intend on doing a redesign that will hopefully fix any issues I discover while there and If I find it very slow I will switch to the pin above and below the leg

Hello I am back! I decided to get a quote from Lasered to see just how much it would cost. I was mainly wondering whether or not this price is normal for laser cut Hardox? It is especially confusing due to the fact that when I checked out SendcutSend with the possible intention of parcel forwarding the price came out for 3 to only be ~ÂŁ16.

Can any of you tell whether this is just how expensive it is or have I done something wrong. I am aware they had a minimum spending of ÂŁ75 but I was hoping to be below that to allow me to possibly cut some forks for my other robot Sir googly.

Anyhow as for other parts of the update I am at this time Printing out PLA versions of the other parts to make sure it all fits together before having the base made and printing out the armour in TPU.

That’s pretty far from normal. Lasered get cheaper as orders get larger, so you typically want to be ordering as part of a group.

3 bars for £16 would be normal for a mid size group order (8-10ish people, £300ish total between them), and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was half that for a large order.

Right now you’re definitely looking at a price that has been increased to hit min order. I wouldn’t be surprised if you put the forks in and the cost stays the same

You might be able to find a group order going on if you ask around, or if you run one yourself I’m sure people would be happy to take part

ÂŁ75 is their minimum order. So you could probably get 20-30 cut and it would cost you ÂŁ75.

I could see those costing about 3-6 pound as part of a group.

Thanks for the info, you have probably just saved me quite a bit of money, however I have realised that it would take too long to set up or find a group order so I intend on bringing the robot with a plastic weapon to ORCS 5 and then having the metal weapon ready for ORCS 6 in November.

The plastic weapon will be the same as the metal weapon, with the alteration of being around 3x thicker to get roughly the same weight. My school ended for the summer holidays recently so I think I should have significantly more time to build the robot.

On a separate note, I am unsure of how a group order works and would greatly appreciate any advice.

Anyhow once again thanks for the info on lasered, and goodbye (for now)

Soooooo, ORCS 5 happened.

The night before the event I blew up the Malenki nano in a drive test but luckily had a spare dual esc and receiver which coincidentally led to Superior violence having to drop out of the comp after the third fight

My first fight was against the test box where they check the spinner’s failsafe which is where its first ever spin up occurred. It proceeded to slam into the walls as the combination of a slightly unbalanced weapon blade and a shuffler mechanism I failed to add silicon to in time led to it turning into a crappy bristlebot, making several bery loud bangs as it bounced around in the barely big enough box.

The first actual fight was against Baphomet, a very nice drum vert (I think, I never got a good look) in which I bounced around, hitting it once before the impacts with the arena wall and violent shaking caused the switch to explode, turning off the robot. It turns out however, that in that hit I seriously damaged Baphomet’s motor, causing them to have to drop out of the competition after their second fight.

The second fight lasted barely 10 seconds as I was far too afraid to fully spin up so was just pitted by Plan B (who would go on to do the same to my wedgebot Sir Googly later on)

My third and final fight had against bolt, another powerful vert. This time I decided to fully spin up and see what happens, leading to a few hits on the wall and then a large amount of gyroing before it struck the arena wall CAUSING THE (plastic) WEAPON TO BREAK INTO TWO AND THE HEATSET INSERTS ON THE FRAME TO COME OUT CAUSING THE INARDS TO SPILL OUT INTO THE PIT

Surprising all was well with the innards so all it took was using the spare weapon blade - but alas! in trying to fit in more components than the frame was designed for, the electrical tape covering wires came loose and blew up the receiver, forcing me to drop out.

The fight in which I realised this was against anticyclone, so I was probably in for a beating if it worked so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Anyhow, onto the planned improvements-

• Turning it into an ironside or bloodsport style overhead horizontal to save weight and bring in the point of contact to give the hit less leverage on my frame.

• Taking SiĂ´n Williamson 's advice and not using the least efficient shape of shuffler, and switching to a dual cam setup for the most grip possible from a shuffler, to hopefully prevent any movement from shaking (And actually being able to move faster than ~ 2mm a second - seriously I measured it)

• And a big doozy - switching back to the original 92g weapon blade with the TPU adapter. At the comp I was 25g underweight with my 50g plastic weapon which by itself isn’t enough to use the metal weapon, however, in order to not hit the floor when inverted, I was using a massive top plate which weighed around 25g. An advantage of overhead horizontals is the minimal top armour needed, allowing me to thin down the top plate substantially. This weapon will be fully balanced, not shatter and due to being far thinner, actually bite into armour. It will also greatly increase the chances of it damaging the arena and itself but that is entirely irrelevant (If I ignore it, it doesn’t exist)

right now I am on holiday for the rest of august so no real fabrication will occur, but lots of design will.

Anyhow all, criticism is appreciated, and goodnight (or morning I guess)